Root Canal Treatment in Gurgaon- The Cost and Procedure
Root Canal treatment falls under the category of endodontic treatment. “Endo” and “odont” both are Greek words meaning inside and tooth respectively, which implies that Endodontic treatment deals with issues related to the inside of the tooth.
The upper layer of the tooth is the white enamel and behind that is a hard layer called dentin and behind dentin is a layer of soft tissues known as the pulp.
The pulp comprises three parts-
- Blood vessels
- Connectivity tissues
The surrounding hard tissues are made by the pulp during the development of the tooth. The pulp is connected to the surrounding tissues of roots and extends from the crown to the roots.
The pulp plays an important part in the growth of a tooth, but a fully grown tooth doesn’t need the pulp to survive and the reason behind this is that the tooth can survive by getting nourishment from its surrounding tissues.
Why Get a Root Canal Treatment in Gurgaon?
You need an endodontic treatment when the pulp, which is a soft tissue, becomes inflamed or infected. There are various reasons behind infected or inflamed pulp-
- You can have deep toothed decay on the tooth of the infected pulp.
- You may have undergone a repeated dental procedure on the tooth of the infected pulp.
- You might also have a crack in the tooth.
- An injury to the tooth can also cause infected or inflamed pulp.
You should not leave infected pulp untreated, because it can cause more pain or may cause an abscess.
Symptoms Of Needing A Root Canal Treatment
Symptoms that mean that you need a Root Canal Treatment are-
- Feeling pain during chewing or biting food.
- Having pimples on the gums.
- A tooth that is cracked.
- Becoming very sensitive towards hot or cold.
- Swollen gums.
- Gums getting dark or serious decay.
Step By Step Process Of Root Canal Treatment:
- An endodontist first examines your infected tooth using X-rays and also takes a radiograph. An anesthetic is then given to you to numb your tooth. A thin protective layer called a “dental dam” is placed after the tooth is numb to keep that area clean and free from saliva while the process is going on.
- The next step is making an opening in the crown of the tooth.
- The next step is cleaning the pulp using extremely small equipment from the pulp chamber and root canal.
- The next step is shaping the opening for filling.
- The gap is then filled by a rubber-like structure known as gutta-percha. Gutta-percha is filled after the pulp is properly cleaned and is a biocompatible material.
- To ensure that gutta-percha is properly fixed, adhesive cement is used.
- After the endodontic treatment is complete, you need to pay a visit to your dentist to get a crown fixed on the tooth to make it function normally.
- Your tooth might not be able to hold the restoration in place, in that case, your dentist might install a post inside the tooth.
How does root canal treatment work?
In a root canal treatment, the infected pulp is removed and then the root canal is properly cleaned and shaped. The opening is then sealed and after some time you will visit your dentist to get a crown or other restoration materials fixed on your tooth to make it fully functional. After the complete process, your tooth will function like a normal tooth.
Points to keep in mind after the root canal treatment
Here are few things that you need to remember after the root canal treatment-
- You should not chew or bite anything after the treatment until you have fully restored your tooth after visiting your dentist.
- After the root canal treatment, you should visit your dentist as soon as possible to get a crown fixed because an unrestored tooth is prone to fractures.
- Until you have got your tooth restored, practice proper oral hygiene routines like brushing, flossing, etc.
- Most root canal treatments are generally successful, but in some rare cases the tooth which underwent root canal treatment doesn’t heal, and the pain remains. The pain might come after months or years after the treatment, and the only way to cure this is to go for root canal treatment again.
Is root canal treatment painful?
Patients are comfortable during the root canal treatment or endodontic treatment, thanks to the anesthetics and modern equipment. Root canal treatments are generally done to get rid of the pain in the infected tooths.
After the treatment, your tooth might feel more sensitive for few days but you can get rid of that by getting some prescriptions from your endodontist.
You might feel some pain for some time after the root canal treatment, but if the pain doesn’t go even after several days, then you should contact your endodontist right away.
Cost of Root Canal Treatment in Gurgaon?
The cost of root canal treatment in gurgaon varies from 6,000 rupees to 8,000 rupees per tooth on average. The cost also depends on several factors, like the area, how good the clinic is, and the facilities your dentist or endodontist is providing.
A tooth with an infected pulp can be very painful and if we leave it unattended, then we might end up losing that tooth. Therefore, root canal treatment becomes very crucial if we want to get rid of that pain and save our teeth.
Although there are cases where the tooth is not strong enough to undergo root canal treatment and in those cases, the safest option is to get the tooth extracted. Root canal treatment has a very high success rate, but it is a complicated process. Therefore, always make sure that the endodontist or dentist is operating on you is well qualified and experienced.
After the root canal treatment, your tooth will feel more sensitivity and you can experience some pain for few days but it will fade away shortly. You should also keep in mind that if you left your infected tooth untreated, then the infection might spread to other body parts and it can prove life-threatening.